Wednesday, September 12, 2012

a diy handpiece and gas station love.

This week I've been without a coffee maker . Which means that on the days I'm not working at Starbucks, I'm forced to find alternative sources of caffeination. Because when one is without Mr. Coffee, drastic measures must be taken. 

Yesterday someone decided it was a good idea to lock their bike to a bike rack in a way that made it actually impossible to successfully unlock mine. I attempted to remove my bike from that situation for probably ten minutes. This is the point in the story where I'm supposed to tell you about the absolutely lovely human being that stopped to help. But no one did. Whatever, University of Minnesota students, whatever. 

Here's where we return to caffeination. When I got off the bus I had to take home because of the bike issue, I was feeling pretty sad. And without coffee. UNTIL, I went into the Holiday Gas Station (drastic measures), turned towards the extensive flavored coffee display and saw a sign that said "FREE COFFEE TUESDAY".

And that, my friends, is how I restored my faith in humanity.

Successful crafting also restores my faith in humanity and I've got a craft for you! I'm not sure what to call it...but the name I've given it makes sense in my head. Inspired by some things floating around the likes of Free People, I bring you a...

DIY Handpiece



You'll need a jump ring, sturdy string, a clasp, a small length of chain, and some sweet bead/button situation.

1. Measure the chain by putting the middle under your middle finger and bringing the two sides up to meet at the middle of the top of your hand. Where the two ends intersect at the middle is where you'll want to cut your chain. Attach a jump ring to link the two ends together and make everyone best friends.


2. Cut your string so that when inserted through the jump ring, it can be then wrapped around your wrist twice, leaving some room to start the wrapping at the middle of your hand. Then feed the middle of the string through the jump ring and tie a lark's head knot to secure. 


3. Choose some kind of bead or button situation. I chose a button because I have three bags of them. Thread both ends of the string through the button or bead. At this point, I also added a small bead on each of the two ends of the string and tied knots to secure them just above the button. You can't see that in this picture, but you'll see them at the end.


4. Attach your clasp by tying double knots on the ends of the strings onto the clasp ends. Trim the leftover string.


HOW TO WEAR: The chain goes over your middle finger, the bead sits in the middle of your hand, and the ends of the string wrap behind your wrist, infront, behind, infront, and behind again. At this point, clasp the ends together.


 You just made yourself a hand wrap bracelet thing. Look in the mirror and give yourself a thumbs up.


P.S. Check out my post on One Green Planet. I'm excited about it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness, I love how you wrote out all the names and stuff on paper bags! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete